CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mud Cookies

Time for a retro trip back to 1976.  Or anytime in the seventies and eighties.  This was a real popular cookie when I was a little girl.  I thought I'd post it because it's almost summertime, and not everyone wants to turn on the oven during the hotter days.  That's right, a no bake cookie. 

I got this recipe from The Dalhousie University Nursing Class of 2000 Cookbook.  That's a really snappy name for a cookbook, hey?  This cookbook was compiled by my sister-in-law Kerri's graduating class.  I love community cookbooks because when you want to find a recipe for funeral potatoes, or mud cookies, or green bean casserole, or any jello salad, these are the books to turn to. 

Anyhow, back to the recipe.  You'll need a big heavy bottomed pot, and some cookie sheets lined with greased wax paper or parchment paper.  Also, a large mixing bowl. 

In the pot, put 2 cups white sugar, 1/2 cup shortening (or margarine or butter), 1/2 cup milk, 4 tablespoons cocoa, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Bring to a boil.  In the large bowl put three cups rolled oats and 1 cup coconut.  Pour cooked mixture in and stir well.  Drop from teaspoon onto waxed paper.  Refrigerate.

That's it, easy peasy lemon squeezy.  This is a pretty flexible recipe, if you want to throw in some extra stuff, go right ahead.  For example, today I threw in some leftover chocolate chips and 1/3 of a bag of mini marshmallows that got stuck together.  Sometimes I throw in some nuts, or wheat germ, or graham cracker crumbs.  My mother-in-law likes to add raisins.  (My husband does not like raisins in his mud cookies.)  Anyway, this is an easy cookie to throw together on a hot summer day.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Can you gain weight just by reading a recipe? I think I just did. My mom made these all of the time! They are my favourite cookie!

    ReplyDelete