CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread

In the last two days I tested some new recipes for Whole Wheat Bread.  Breadmaking is one of the most satisfying things to do in the kitchen.  I know it is a time consuming activity, but the end result is heavenly!  And really, the process of making bread involves short periods of activity between long periods of waiting, so it's kind of perfect for a busy mother.  You can work hard for ten or fifteen minutes, then come back in an hour for the next step, and so on and so forth.  Kneading the dough is a very stress releasing activity as well.   I get in a meditative kind of mood when I'm mixing and kneading, it can be very rewarding.

Yesterday I tried this following recipe.  It comes from a very old, shabby cookbook I have, called More-with-Less Cookbook, published by Herald Press, 1991.  This recipe is called Honey Whole Wheat Bread, and it turned out very well.  It made a nice, dense loaf with a dark brown color, and it slices really well.  I made toast with it this morning, and it was de-li-cious, and it held up well for making sandwiches for the lunch boxes.  (I am so tired of making school lunches, I am really looking forward to the end of June!) 

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Makes 2 loaves
375 degrees F
40-45 min.

Dissolve 2 tablespoons yeast in 1/2 cup warm water
Combine in large bowl:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1 tablespoon salt
Heat in saucepan until warm:
2 1/2 cups water or potato water
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons oil.
Pour warm liquid over flour mixture.  Beat with electric mixer 3 minutes.  Add in dissolved yeast.  Stir in 1 additional cup whole wheat flour, and 4-4/12 cups white flour.
Knead 5 minutes, using additional white flour if necessary. Place in greased bowl, turn, let rise until double in bulk.  Punch down, divide dough in half and shape into loaves.  Place in greased 9x5 bread pans.  Cover and let rise 40-45 minutes.  Bake at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.

I added a pinch of sugar to the water I dissolved the yeast in (I always do, it helps to activate the yeast.)  I also added 1/4 cup wheat germ.  I will definitely make this bread again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment