CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread 2

  I really enjoyed the following recipe, it comes from a cookbook called From Apples To Zucchini: The Frugal Cook's Guide To An Overstocked Refrigerator And Overflowing Garden,  by Jane Marsh Dieckmann, published by McNaughton & Gunn, 1982.  If you can get your hands on a copy of this recipe book, I highly recommend it.  It is chock full of money saving frugal ideas for using up what's hiding out in the back of the fridge.  I made this on a day I had made an extra large amount of Red River Cereal for breakfast, just so I could have some leftover to try out this recipe.  It's called Hearty Breakfast Bread.

Hearty Breakfast Bread

leftover cooked cereal
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 tablespoons honey
2 to 3 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons margarine or butter
3 cups whole wheat flour
5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour

Combine the leftover cereal (up to 1 cup) with the milk and blend well.  Scald the mixture and cool slightly.  Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.  Put the honey, salt and margarine into a large bowl and pour the hot milk-cereal mixture over.  Stir well.  When lukewarm, stir in the dissolved yeast and the whole wheat flour.  Beat until smooth.  Then stir in enough of the remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.  Knead on a floured board adding more flour if necessary until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.  Turn once in a greased bowl and let rise ina warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours.  Divide in three parts and shape into loaves.  Put in well-greased loaf pans (9x5) and let rise until double, about 45 minutes.  Bke at 375 degrees F about 35 minutes.

This bread baked up nice and high, and was fairly light for a whole wheat bread.  It wasn't as firm and dense as the honey whole wheat bread I made last week, so it was a little harder to slice.  The taste was excellent, with a nutty flavour from the Red River Cereal.  I look forward to trying it with leftover oatmeal. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a tasty and healthy recipe. I am a bit of a bread baker myself so I'd be happy to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings,
    This Good Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We really enjoyed it, and I just used up the last little bit to make some delicious croutons for our salad tonight. I think it would make great rolls as well. I appreciate your comment, let me know how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete