CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Soy Marinade

This is one of my oldest recipes, from the first cookbook I got as a newlywed.  I think it was the Pillsbury Cookbook.  That recipe book was lost on one of many moves.  Thank goodness I had copied the recipe onto a card for my recipe box! 

I love this marinade!  It can be used on beef or chicken, but I love it best on a porkchop.  It makes the best barbecued pork chops ever!  It's super easy, too.  For fabulous results, marinade your meat for 24 hours in the fridge.  If you're in a hurry, you can marinade it for at least half an hour on the counter.  If you're a super organized over achiever, when you bring your meat home from the grocery story, mix up the marinade and throw it in with the meat in a freezer bag and freeze it until you need it. 

Here's what you'll need:

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 green onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey or white sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice

Combine all the ingredients and mix well.  (I put it in a mason jar and shake shake shake.  Sometimes I put all the ingredients except the oil in my blender and then drizzle the oil in as the blender is going, this makes it emulsify.  Sometimes I put it in a big measuring cup and use my little immersion blender, which also does a very good job.)

If you're feeling like switching things up a little bit, you can use finely chopped fresh ginger instead of powdered ginger.  You can also use lime juice instead of lemon juice or vinegar.  I also substitute chives for the green onions sometimes as well.  It's a versatile recipe.

Once the marinade is prepared, take whatever meat you're using and grab a fork.  Then poke lots of holes in the meat.  This helps the marinade to sink all that flavor into the meat.  Put the meat in a big ziploc bag and pour the marinade in as well.  Try and squish as much air out of the bag as you can while you're closing it.  Then put it on a plate and stick it in the fridge until you're ready to fire up your barbecue. 

This recipe is really reliable and very delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment