CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Whoopie Pies


My mother used to make this special lunch box treat when I was a little girl.  Whenever I'd open my orange Scooby-Doo lunch box and see this little treasure inside I'd give a big 'Woohoo!'.  My sister used them as a serious barter item, and traded her way to some store bought treats that we'd never see otherwise.  I've noticed that whoopie pies seem to be having some sort of comeback lately, so I thought I'd dig out this oldy but goody.

Whoopie PIes

1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter and sugar, add egg and mix well.  Add milk and vanilla and mix well.  Combine remaining dry ingredients, add.  Drop from tablespoon on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 425 degrees F for 9 minutes.  Cool and frost.

My mum used to just frost the top.  You can take two whoopie pies and sandwich them together with frosting, which would be yummy as well.  These are very dark chocolate, and can be a little dry.  If your batter seems too dry add a little more milk.  Don't overbake them!  If your oven is hot bake at a slightly lower temperature.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Is this the moment to admit that I've never heard of these? But what fun! I wish I could have found one of these in MY lunchbox! Instead of mom's peanut butter and honey, with the honey soaked into the bread so it was crunchy. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete